[Prev][Next][Index]

Walk down device

Simo Salanne (salanne@convex.csc.FI) wrote:
: In <rockCB60MI.9Dr@netcom.com> rock@netcom.com (Anne Rock) writes:

: >One point:  I can't pull the kite in at wind speeds above ?20? mph,
: >so if the wind is high, I have to find flying locations where I
: >can walk the kite down.  A carabiner is useful for walking the kite
: >down (just open the biner, clip over line, walk -- a strap on the
: >biner makes it easier).

: I got very good walk down tool from a boating shop. (Let's
: see if I can explain it...).

: I bought a pulley, which can be opened on one side. When I have
: the flying line in the groove (?) of the wheel, I'll close it again.
: I attached a thick rope loop on the pulley, so I can hang all
: my weight (:-) on it when walking towards the kite.

: Compared to carabiner, the pulley needs less force, because of
: practically frictionless wheel. The pulleys are available in
: many sizes, buy one which can take all your weight (and some
: more), so it will not be the weakest point in your landing "system".

Well, I have a similar device....mine is called a rescue pulley and
is intended for larger diameter ropes (like climbing ropes).  The
wheel is nylon, and now has a big grove in it where the kite line
cut into it, rendering the wheel fairly useless as the line now just
cuts the groove deeper.  (Patrick Prosser describes a different
problem but same end result, useless device, in the Gloves thread.)

Is your pulley well-suited for smaller diameter lines?  What's the
wheel made of?

Anne

 *  Anne Rock                  |                                           *
 *  Berkeley, California       |       Give without remembering            *
 *  rock@netcom.com            |       Receive without forgetting          *