[Prev][Next][Index]

Why silent?

In <28421.9305051021@tlaloc.cms.dmu.ac.uk> it1jk@de-montfort.ac.uk (Groove Patrol) writes:

>Why does everyone want to make their kites silent? I think they're a lot more
>fun when they make a bit of noise!

You can expect the silent one to fly "better" than the noisy one.

You can expect many people to consider the noise to pollute
environment. I have had some bitter arguing on noisy flying
and non-polite suggestions to piss off!

Smooth Winds & Silent Kites
Simo Salanne

Noise usually means that there is a lot of drag being produced.
Eliminating the noise will usually result in a kite that flys faster
and possibly in lighter wind. Turning performance will also change.
Some kites fly just fine when they are noisy, there is no reason to
make them silent. Others perform better when they are quiet.

Noise can be a problem on the flying field. I was flying on the beach
once and someone told me to stop flying because it was too noisy.

One interesting thing about noise, a sudden change in the noise can
have a profound effect on the audience and judges of a stunt kite
event. If you are flying a noisy kite and suddenly the kite stops and
is making more noise, the change can be very dramatic.

Marty Sasaki

There was a report on the news on the weekend that kite flyers have been banned from
using a certain park in suburban Sydney (Coogee Beach - I think ..) for flying any
dual line kites because the local residents have complained of the noise made from
the sport kites .... BE  Warned !!!

Hopefully this is an isolated case - in fact the news team making the report seemed
to side with the kite flyers and made the residents look a silly -- never the less
a ban has been imposed by the local authorities ..

Happy Silent Flying

Graeme

Does anyone agree that on occasion, the noise can be an useful safety feature.
I seem to notice that people stay WELL clear of my noisy phantom but are
unaware of my speedfoil. In view of the speed and silence of the foil, I'm
always very cautious when flying this kite.
  On the other hand, I recall being kept awake when camping at a kite festival
by a couple of phantoms. As I had acouple of young kids in tow, I was (for the
first and last time) GLAD to hear a kite crash.
  I havn't had the opportunity to try a delta fitted with "flexors" on the
trailing edge but am considering fitting them to my phantom to prevent the
trailing edge flapping. Any opinions on whether this will improve the kite?
Tips on how to locate the rods would be most welcome (anyone out there with
a scorpion should be able to help).

Thanks,
Paul (puc@aber.ac.uk)

Return to Kite Fliers's Site