[Prev][Next][Index]

Team warm-up

INTRODUCTION:

     My approach may be a little bit more rigid than most but I
have  found it to be successful to achieve the teams  objectives.
Namely to be recognized as the "BEST IN THE WORLD".   There is  a
time  for  social flying and a time for serious  practice.   This
article is directed at the time for serious practice for wanna be
world class teams.
     I  think  we  all agree that there is a  certain  amount  of
physical  exertion required in flying  controllable  kites.   The
amount  of  physical  preparation  is  a  personal  thing.   Each
individual  has a responsibility to the other members of the team
to mentally and physically prepare for practice and  competition.
This  article is intended to present concepts for the kite flying
warm-up that takes place after the individual warm-up.

     The  leader either alone or through a consensus of the  team
members should have specific objectives in mind for the  practice
session.

FALL IN:
     If the team intends to make quality time of the the practice
session  then  when the leader calls "FALL IN" all flyers  should
assume  their respective positions in the flight  pattern.    All
flyers  should be silent and follow the commands of  the  leader.
The first consideration of the flyers should be spacing.

WARM-UP PATTERN #1
     During the initial flying of the practice session the leader
should  fly a series of long horizontal lines which progressively
get higher and then back down.

           _________________________>_____>_____>_____>
         /

         \ ___________<_____<_____<_____<_____________
                                                       \

           _____>_____>_____>_____>___________________ /

     Each  flyer  should give specific attention to  making  sure
that their kite stays equal spaced from the one in front of  them
and  that the lines in and out of the corners are tangent to  the
curvature  of the corner.   ( i.e.  no dips or lumps )  It is not
necessary  for the leader to make any calls during this  part  of
the  warm-up.   The change in elevation between horizontal  lines
should  be about 20 feet.   This pattern should be maintained for
at least 4 cycles.
WARM-UP PATTERN #2
     When  the leader is satisfied with the teams performance  of
pattern  #1,   pattern #2 can be initiated by the simple  command
follow which lets the team members know that the pattern is going
to change.   Pattern #2 is similar to #1 except that the parallel
lines are on the vertical.  The path should be carried as high as
possible  and  as  near to the  ground  as  possible.   The  only
commands  from  the  leader  should be  made  when  changing  the
direction of progression across the sky.  ( i.e. on the last down
stroke of a sequence that has been progressing from left to right
across  the  sky the leader will say pulling right to  the  first
follower  so  that the change in pattern will not be a  surprise.
The  other  flyers will see the change soon  enough  to  mentally
prepare  for  their  subsequent turns  ).   Particular  attention
should  be  given to absolute straight vertical  lines  with  all
kites  perfectly  aligned.   The  stroke of the  path  should  be
sufficient to allow all kites to be on the line at the same time.
All  flyers  should be walking backward during the up stroke  and
forward  during the down stroke with the intent of maintaining  a
constant speed.   ( I believe that a teams ability to maintain  a
constant   speed  throughout  a  maneuver  is  paramount  in  the
performance of compulsory figures ).

                     __            __     top of wind window
                   /    \        /    \
                  |      |      |      |
                  |      |      |      |
                  |      |      |      |
                  |      |      |      |
                  |      |      |      |
                          \ __ /
                 -------------------------- ground level

WARM-UP TURN PATTERNS:

     No warm-up period should be complete without unison turns in
both directions.  During the execution of these turns all members
should make every effort to give the appearance the the kites are
attach like the wheels of a train.
     I'm  going to digress here for a moment and talk  about  the
technique required to carve perfectly round circles.  The concept
is  simple the execution is challenging.   The flyer should think
of  the  circle  to be carved as a series  of  arcs  between  for
precisely  positioned  points representing 3,6,9 and 12  o'clock.
At the points 3 and 9 o'clock the center spine of the kite should
be   pointed  exactly  vertical,    Up  or  Down   whichever   is
appropriate.   Similarly  the  center  spine should  be  pointing
exactly  horizontal at 6 and 12 o'clock,   to the left  or  right
whichever is appropriate.    The points 3 and 9 should be exactly
opposite each other and exactly half way between 6 and 12.   This
sounds  simple  and straight forward but I would venture  to  say
that there are not more than 4 or 5 people out there that can fly
a  perfect  circle.    If you think you are one of the  few  then
please  put  lights  on your kite and fly the perfect  circle  at
night in a time exposed photograph to prove it.   O.K.   back  to
the lesson at hand.

     The  wind  window  can be defined in  terms  of  4  specific
elevations.  FULL SKY,  3/4 SKY,  HALF SKY,  and  1/4 SKY.

------------------------------------------------ FULL SKY

------------------------------------------------ 3/4 SKY

------------------------------------------------ HALF SKY

------------------------------------------------ 1/4 SKY
- - - - - - - NORMAL HEIGHT OF UNI TURN - - - - -
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ GROUND PASS ELEVATION _ _ _ _ _ _
------------------------------------------------ GROUND LEVEL
     During  the  previous warm-up patterns the leader should  be
determining where these elevation identities will be.   He should
then  indicate to the other flyers what he has determined  to  be
"full sky", "3/4 sky", "1/2 sky", and "1/4 sky".
     The leader can describe the size of the unison turn by using
one  of these terms in the preparatory command.   All flyers will
carve their own circle of the prescribed size while continuing to
maintain horizontal spacing and constant speed.    As the team is
being lead into a ground pass from left to right the leader could
say  "FULL SKY LEFT" followed by the execution command    "TURN".
All kites will carve a large left perfect circle spaced and timed
to the leader. The circles will go to the full height of the wind
window.   Similarly  turns of half sky and quarter sky should  be
practiced.   The  turns  should  be  initiated from  all  of  the
different elevations resulting in both up and down turns.
     The  practice  of half sky circles will  improve  the  teams
performance  of the team eights compulsory.   Here is a challenge
for your team.  Establish a half sky horizontal pass from left to
right.   When all kites are on the line execute and odd/even half
sky left vertical figure eight.   (i.e.  1 & 3 break left,  2 & 4
break  right.   Carve the first half sky circles and meet on  the
half  sky  line where each will then immediately carve  into  the
opposite half sky circle.  Finishing all exactly at the same time
back on the half sky line headed from left to right).

WARM-UP CLOSE ORDER DRILL:
     Now  that you're getting pretty warmed up the next  exercise
is  to  reduce the spacing at least in half.    Fly  as  tight  a
spacing  as  you can possibly get away with.   Refueling  doesn't
count.   No touching.  Now start over with WARM-UP PATTERN #1 and
work your way through all of the patterns again.
     This  entire warm-up period should take only about 30 to  45
minutes  depending  on  how much  fun  you're  having.    If  the
objective  of  the practice for the day is to work on  compulsory
figures I suggest you spend additional time on this type of warm-
up.

                   STILL LEARNING AND SHARING

                            RON REICH

Return to Kite Fliers's Site