[Prev][Next][Index]

Shadow flying controlable kites

     "Don't Let The Sun Get In Your Eyes"
     "Don't Let The Kite Stay On The Ground"
     "When The Shadows Are Bright"
     "And The Wind Starts To Blow"
     "Get Out Your Favorite Kite"
     "Here's The Type Of Show"

     So I'm not a Poet,   Who cares?   I used to be a  kiteflyer,
Now  I have more memories than abilities.   It doesn't take skill
or cost anything to share those memories and experiences so  here
we go again.
     The  next  time you are on the field with  your  kite,  take
notice of where the sun is.   If you are lucky,   the sun will be
somewhere above mid sky straight down wind from you.  If you were
to fly your kite normally, you would be looking straight into the
sun.   Look  for the shadow of the kite on the ground.   When the
kite is below the sun the shadow will be in front of  you.   When
the  kite is above the sun the shadow will be  behind  you.   The
easiest  situation for learning to shadow fly is when the sun  is
just about to the top of the wind window.
     Fly  the kite on a ground pass to a position just under  the
sun,  then turn it to go straight up at the sun.  Notice that the
shadow  of the kite is coming straight toward you on the  ground.
As  the  shadow passes you,  raise your hands over your head  and
turn  your body to the same side the shadow  passes.   Keep  your
eyes  on  the shadow.   Your hand position now will be as  though
your  were the victim of a stick up.   Your upper arms should  be
straight out parallel to the ground and your forearms straight up
perpendicular to the ground.
     The  control  of  the  kite is  actually  quite  simple  and
straight  forward.   With your back now to the kite and your eyes
on the shadow,   the thought to keep in your mind is that if  the
kites  shadow  is to your right you will need to push your  right
hand into the wind which results in pulling on the right side  of
the kite.   As you will see by the shadow, the kite will turn up.
Similarly,   if the kites shadow is to your left you will want to
push  toward the shadow  (into the wind) to get the kite to  turn
up.   The  best learning action is to alternate pushing right and
left causing the kite shadow to weave back and forth in front  of
you.
                     CAUTION !!  CAUTION !!

     CAUTION  !!!   Don't attempt this on a crowded field.   Your
back  is  to the kite and you will undoubtedly lose  control  the
first few time you try it.  Furthermore,  you should not try this
the first time in winds greater than 10 mph.

     Once you get the hang of it,   try to maneuver the shadow to
hover  near  where you are standing so that you can step  on  it.
Spectators  standing up wind will soon get the idea of  what  you
are  doing and be entertained by any antics that you can do  with
the shadow.
     Shadow  flying  is  a  real challenge  for  teams.   I  have
actually  had  my team flying formation and doing turns  and  the
like while flying the shadows.
     If  you try it let me know what happens and if you have  any
question on the subject please don't hesitate to ask.

Return to Kite Fliers's Site