[Prev][Next][Index]

New power kiting danger

A warning to power kiters:

The most obvious time for flying a *realy* big kite is when the wind is
low.  Yesterday, I experienced a hazard of choosing such a time: I caught
a thermal!  I was flying the 15m^2 Peel  on 300' lines on a still, sunny
morning when I found that it was overflying the vertical without
luffing, still pulling hard.  The pressure continued to increase (with the
kite still at maximum altitude) and I was finding it increasingly difficult
to stay on the ground, so I let go of one line to bring it down.

Be warned:  If you go up on a thermal or updraft, you might not come back down!

Andrew
--
Work: gaffer@plx.com Phone: +44 793 614 110 Fax: +44 793 614 297

Return to Kite Fliers's Site