[Prev][Next][Index]

Flexifoil launching

In article <C6M4D3.t3@geovision.gvc.com> terry@geovision.gvc.com (Terry McGonigal) writes:
>In article <1993Apr28.084334.24150@das.harvard.edu>
>ye79@gec-mrc.co.uk (ye79) writes:
>>In a rec.kites article James Kirk. (it1jk@dmu.ac.uk) states:
>>> I've got two Super-10 Flexifoils. I've had them for some time, but
>>> never have I been able to launch them on my own.
>>>
>>One method which seems to work involves the use of two canes (the sort
>>used for staking plants when gardening). Mine are plastic coated metal,
>>about 3' long and have tape on them to make them conspicuous.
>
>I have'nt tried this with larger Flexis, but I self launch my 6ft
>w/o any supports regularly:

[Instructions for an unassisted launch deleted....]

This works for me.  It just took awhile to get the hang of it.
I never could get it to work, no matter how many descriptions of the
technique I read, until I tried flying with the ultraflex rods.
Then, boom, it just worked with no problems.  Once I got the technique
figured out, it was pretty easy to do with the regular rods, especially
if there is enough (8 - 10 mph) wind so that it just wants to
fly anyway.

>I had a chance to fly a 10ft the other day in 45-60kph winds...  I'm not
>a small or light kinda guy, but this kite was more than willing to (try
>to) pull me all over the field.  *wow*! :)

I really recommend the ultralight rods for the 10-footer;  this is now
the only kite in my bag that can fly in any wind, from maybe 3 mph on up.
Even in almost no wind, it has a nice feel to it, as though you are
attached to something solid.  And of course in strong winds, it is just
incredable.

Fly kite!
Kevin
kml@rokkaku.atl.ga.us