[Prev][Next][Index]

How to determine the pull of a kite

This is a rather technical and more or less theoretical question.

I wonder whether and how it is possible to determine the pull of a kite with a given
area, making a given angle with the wind, blowing with a given velocity ? I dot not mean by empirical trial/error process, but rather with aerodynamics theory.

Is there a (simple or simplified) formula that gives the relationship between kite
area, angle and wind velocity (and maybe other factors that I'm missing).

I must admit that my classes of physics have already faded away, but that I'd be
glad to refresh them.

Any aerodynamics wizzard out there in the sky ???

          kite  ------->   /
                          /
                         /.                  <===
                        /  .                 <===  WIND