[Prev][Next][Index]

Nose width

<Subj:  nose width: how does it affect flying characteristics ?
<
<I would like to ask the knowledgeable guys out there, if they can go a bit
<ahead of the 'it depends' and describe the effect of a large nose versus a
<small one. Or in other words how does the nose width affect the flying of a
<kite. If you can add some 'because' in your explanation that would be great.
<
<In advance thanks and good winds.
<
<Philippe Lepez

Over generalizing a bit, kites that have a wide nose angle seem to
be quicker, and more maneuverable.  Kites that have a narrow nose angle
seem to be slower, more stable, and easier to do ground work with.
However, as far as the actual width of the nose itself, I think that
you can get more billow in the top part of the sail with a wide nose
than you can with a sharp, pointy nose and that this  a factor to
consider regardless of nose angle.

A nice characteristic to have, as Marty Sasaki mentioned in an earlier note,
is the ability to tune a kite by varying the length of the top spreader.
If you use a wide nose, you will be able to get more variation in perfor-
mance.  A long top spreader will give you the very wide nose and will also
make the sail flat at the top which usually translates into added speed,
and sharper turning.  A short top spreader will make the nose fold up into
a sharper more pointy angle, and this usually translates into more billow in
the top of the kite, more even speed in bumpy wind, and better tracking.

It would seem to make sense to me to use a nose wide enough to allow a little
billow since my experience with the really flat sail, has been relatively
negative.

Good Winds,
Bert Tanaka

Return to Kite Fliers's Site